Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlc102482

I can't find a double basin high back porcelain sink

jlc102482
10 years ago

I have been searching for an antique double basin high back (i.e. wall mount faucet) porcelain sink without drainboards for about two years without success. I'm so desperate that I have decided to try and find a new one/reproduction, but I am having trouble finding one of those, too! In your old house parts travels, does anyone remember seeing any either in stores or on websites? Any and all potential sources, new and antique, are welcome. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2106218}}

Comments (16)

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

You might call these folks

Here is a link that might be useful: antique plumbing

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

You're right: they've all got drainboards!

Try this one:

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay posting

• columbusguy1
    10 years ago

Here is one:

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Sink

• vjrnts
    10 years ago

Historic Houseparts in Rochester NY has zillions of old and repro kitchen sinks. I don't see the one you want on their web page, but it might be worth a call.

Here is a link that might be useful: Historic Houseparts

• jlc102482
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Weedy found it! Unfortunately it's $1,200, way over my budget. Sure is pretty, though. I have been periodically checking in with Historic Houseparts for a couple years now, lol. No dice yet, but I am not giving up. Thanks, all!

• Circus Peanut
    10 years ago

What's your general location? This Old Tub & Sink in Boston has a few:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: This Old Tub and Sink

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

Hey, make them an offer of what you can afford. You never know, and if you don't ask, you don't get.

• calliope
    10 years ago

I've lived in many old houses, most of which had their original fixtures and I suspect you're having troubles finding an 'antique' double sink because I've never seen a truly old kitchen sink with two bowls. I guess the term old is relative, but if you look at the faucet holes on the sinks above, you'll see they're meant for relatively newer fixtures. Granted, I spent a good deal of my adolescence out of the country, but even in Europe where we had ancient plumbing fixtures in our house..........the sink was porcelain and had no drain, a high back and just one bowl. I honestly never saw a double bowl kitchen sink until I was in college.

• jlc102482
    Original Author
    10 years ago

calliope, that makes a lot of sense! Now I'm thinking that I'll just have to make do with a single basin sink. The only reason I wanted double is because I like to use one side for washing dishes and the other side for stowing the dish drainer to keep it out of my way and out of sight. Not a huge deal. I'd rather compromise and get an appropriate sink, I think.

• arlosmom
    10 years ago

Are you anywhere near Boston? Old House Parts has exactly what you're looking for. Scroll down to #21 in the linked site.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 basin high backed sink

• calliope
    10 years ago

You will find 'laundry sinks', really old ones with two bowls, and also industrial or commercial sinks of your home's vintage with perhaps two bowls. Nobody says you are obliged to use an authentic for age plumbing fixture or appliance, I live in a 200 year old house and don't use my fireplace to cook. ;-) I have two sinks in this house. One a modern ONE BOWL stainless steel one with new, but old-looking faucet assembly and I also have a deep, one bowl utility sink under the window for working up garden produce and a pitcher pump under it hooked up to our spring. It has come in very handy when we have power outages and yes, I installed it.

• Why_not_me
    10 years ago

Do you have to have the wall-mounted faucets?

This seller has a few of these sinks for sale, pulled from an old hospital, iirc, and I bought one to use in our kitchen. It's a great size, vgc, really solid, and not too deep: many of the early sinks were meant for scrubbing clothes, and are uncomfortably deep for modern kitchen use.

Price is a bit better than you've been encountering, too, I suspect.

Here is a link that might be useful: HD porcelain double sink.

• nabq
    10 years ago

Don't know if you're still looking, but you might try eBay and Etsy. Here's one I found in a 1 minute search. I'm sure there are more. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Porcelain-Cast-Iron-Sink-Double-Original-To-1920-Co-op-NY-/331024843469 . And I agree with Weedyacres. Make an offer at whatever you can afford. You'll be surprised at how many sellers on sites like this will accept. Just make sure you ask them to relist or ammend formally, so you get whatever buyer protection the site offers.

• imaninny
    10 years ago

hi i have a old sink, i been doin my research , just curious how much u all think its worth, ive asked others , i just wanna research is all lol here is a picture

• bungalowmo
    8 years ago

@Grandpa....I wish your inventory was on your website. The firewall & filters at work block the onedrive.live link :0(