Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help.. Selecting type of paint .. X post

Posted by missouri1 (My Page) on
Tue, May 5, 09 at 10:32

I have a house sided in asbestos shingles. I need to temporarily paint over tagging on my house and then I want to paint the entire house next year. We'll be using white to cover the grafitti and likely painting the base a red with cream trim next year.
I want to make sure to use something that when I paint again it will adhere to nicely and cover and stay on well with minimal fading.

Any suggestions what type of paint to use? I was thinking oil but don't know how that is with dry time and moisture and humidity. The house is in Missouri.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help.. Selecting type of paint .. X post

tagging? unfinished or finished asbestos shingles? white over graffit? Red over white?

Any red will fade. White will not cover well unless the graffiti is white. Red will not cover well over white. Alkyd (synthetic oil-modified, solvent-based) paint is always a risk over any unknown finish because it is not as flexible as latex/acrylic water-based paints. Paint adhesion is greatly dependent on surface preparation and preparing asbestos could be a problem. Why is drying time an issue?

o

Before you paint, I hope you have considered the condition of your shingles. As stated by mightyanvil, preparing asbestos is risky at best. Make sure you have adequate breathing protection. Use a pressure washer to remove loose paint instead of sanding. Replace any loose or damaged shingles with a composite replacement. And primer will cover the graffiti and seal the shingles for any painting you will be doing in the future.

I am a huge fan of Sherwin-Williams. I have used their paint in home and industrial settings. They also give great advice on color matching and what colors will fade and how long that will take. You will find out that most high grade exterior paints will have a uv filter built into them to prevent fading.

Please check out this link I have included. It is one of my favorite how-to sights.

Here is a link that might be useful: asbestos paint and prep/ ehow

o

Our oil based paint that we painted some of our trim with many years ago peeled off cuz it wasn't flexible enought to with stand our weather changes. Oil paint is no longer the premium for house exteriors. We are using Sherwin Williams Duration Exterior latex now. Some of the front porch has had just one coat on top of the scraped but not completely gone oil paint and it looks brand new after 3 winters. We've been very happy with this paint. I'm told it breathes. It doesn't need a primer which is nice. Not sure how it would be on your kind of siding, but they will tell youat the SW store. Dh is also slowly painting the aluminum siding which has faded (same color as it was originally, thats why its not a rush/priority). That has been through one winter and is perfect. The Duration paint is very expensive, $44/gal. We watch for sales and stock up. Also once we bought 20 gallons at a time and got a free ladder, one of those multi level as seen on tv types. (Btw, that little woman they showed carrying the ladder in the ads must be a prof weight lifter, I can hardly carry the thing.)
good luck
kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here