Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best non-ammonia remover for crusty wax buildup on wood?

Posted by lazygardens (My Page) on
Fri, May 31, 13 at 10:32

You have seen that crusty old excess wax on hardwood floors ... where they swabbed it on and didn't buff because it was next to furniture or under a bad. Or the result of way too many layers.

What's the least stinky solvent to get the stuff off? And maybe even leave the old varnish intact?

DO NOT SUGGEST AMMONIA, PLEASE! This is wood floor and it will turn black with ammonia.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best non-ammonia remover for crusty wax buildup on wood?

Try mineral spirits (but it's quite stinky, too and the rags and pads are flammable while still wet with it).

I can't imagine why anyone would suggest ammonia for the kind of wax that's typically used on wood. Ammonia works on the gunk referred to as "wax" that's applied to linoleum/vinyl sheet flooring.

But wood floor wax is much different. Or at least it ought to be unless you have been using the vinyl floor "wax" on your hardood. If that's case, then I don't know.

I use Butcher's Bowling Alley wax on my waxed wood floors. Mineral spirits (or turps) dissolve it easily. A floor buffer with scrubbie or steel wool pads is used to ease the elbow grease needed. It can't be "slopped on" when being applied as it is not liquid so you may be dealing with another type of product. Look at the orginal container and see what is described as a thinner or cleaner for it. That will give a hint as to what to use to remove it.

You can also try applying another thin coat and allowing it to soften the lower layers and then buffing like mad with a heavy machine to spread out the under stuff.

Try stuff in a corner and see what works.

HTH

L.

o

Elbow grease.

o

"Try mineral spirits (but it's quite stinky, too and the rags and pads are flammable while still wet with it). "

Buy the more expensive 'deodorized' mineral spirits.

It should not touch the varnish, but should strip most waxes.

Use plastic scrub brush and a lot of ventilation.

Mineral spirits are flammable (and even though you cannot smell them can cause dizziness if you breath enough of the vapor).

o

The "original container"? That floor hadn't seen the light of day since 1992.

Thanks, I'll try mineral spirits - I have the deodorized kind, I think. It's just been a long project and my brain is totally fried.

o

Tes in an inconspicuous area first!

I wonder if the old iron trick for getting wax out of carpet might work - lay down newspaper and iron it, wax transfers to paper?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here