Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old well in kitchen?

Posted by mgspeed (My Page) on
Fri, May 29, 09 at 10:17

You never know what you'll find in the old houses, but a well was definitely not anticipated. It's a stone well about 4 feet in diameter, and it's about 12 feet deep, with about 3 feet of water in it. I found it while removing flooring and trying to get access to the crawl space to install a new drain line.
Now the question is what, if anything, to do with it? My initial thought is to cover it back up and make sure that the flooring above it is extra secure. My designer said that she had one client who put a clear cover on one, and made it a focal point. Mine is in the corner and it would be really hard to make it a focal point, but who knows.
Any body else ever see this, any other ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old well in kitchen?

I recall a recent discussion that suggests that what you have discovered may not be a well, but a cistern.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here