Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zagyzebra_gw

Plaster, paint, or what technique to use?

zagyzebra
12 years ago

I have a 1931 house that looks like a castle. It was seriously damaged in a fire and basically has to be gutted. The original plaster walls have been destroyed.

I have a few questions. Should we lathe and plaster the walls like they were originally, or go the cheaper route of putting up dry wall and then treating the dry wall to look like plaster? I'm looking for the advantages and disadvantages of each, and any personal experiences anyone has had.

I've been told by an artist/painter that Venetian plaster is the way to go, which can be applied to dry wall. From my limited research, there seem to be two kinds of plaster. One is acrylic based and the other is the eco-friendly real lime-based plaster. Has anyone had experience with either of these? I am concerned about patching either of these plaster techniques. What if, for example, you get a wall leak and have to do a major patch? Or just want to change the paint? Then what? Which achieves better results: acrylic or natural? And why?

I'm just beginning to research this and am interested in any and all input! Thank you.

Comments (3)