Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to find? brass window-stop grommets?

Posted by huckflinn (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 08 at 9:17

I'm finally re-doing each window. (1911 colonial revival- reglazing, repainting, re-hanging...).

On the sash-stops, which hold the lower sash in place, the screws that hold this trim-stop to the jam have washer/grommet type brass rings that keep the screw recessed.

They are 5/8th in diameter and about 1/2" deep.

they have all been painted over and over, and I would like to replace them w/ shiney new brass ones.
But I cannot find them anywhere, and I'm not even sure what they are called. But I know they must be available...?!?

If anyone knows what i'm talking about at all, please post a response.
I'll try to post a picture later.
Thanks to anyone, in advance, for any insight into my dilemma.
tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to find? brass window-stop grommets?

I know exactly what you mean but don't know the name for the piece. Have you tried vandykesrestorers.com or www.wmjrigby.com? Both have loads of window hardware.

A hint to remove the paint - boil water in a pan you'll never use for cooking. Mix in some baking soda. Then drop your rings in and let them cook for 10-15 minutes. Pull them out one at a time and the paint will peel right off.

In our old house, our window trim was originally stained dark brown and the rings were the color of the stain.

Good luck.

o

Oooh, ooh, tom, I do so wish I had your answer. I'll add my name to those seeking this exact same item. I have a 20's bungalow and have stripped years of white paint from all of the trim. In the process we removed all those sash stops (or window jambs? what are they called exactly?) and are now also dealing with trying to replace the dozens of crudded-over, oxidized brass finish-washer trim-grommet thingees in order to replace 'em on the windows.

Mine have 2 slight little teeth on the back to keep them tight in the wood. They are more like trim washers than like grommets, except with teeth, slightly deeper and with an ovoid hole for the screwhead.

I fear I've lost many of them in the stripping process, but perhaps I can still try the boiling trick. Do they retain their shininess at all, post-boil?

o
stop bead adjusters!

Holy Toledo! I found 'em! I am forever indebted to you, patser. Via wmjrigby.com I discovered their name:

*drumroll*

stop bead adjusters

With this info I can now surf my way to the right size, metal, etc. (These folks offer lots of finishes, for instance.) Many many thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: stop bead adjusters at wmjrigby

o
and a photo, for reference

Another great source: the Harwick Company (click image).

o

I'm glad I could help!

Yes, the boiling trick takes the metal piece right back to it's original finish. I've used it with eastlake pieces and tiger striped metal. Both came out copper and black.

I'm 10 years into old houses and between this forum, oldhouseweb.com and ambungalow.com, I've picked up lots of info thanks to others who have been there before me!

o

I wanted to report back in: just received my stop sash grommet order from killian hardware, and they are absolutely perfect matches for my old ones. The brass-coated steel (cheapest option, and look perfectly nice) cost about $0.50 each and come in boxes of 100.

Hurrah for Gardenweb!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here