Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sealing Vertical Edges of T1-11 Siding: How ?

Posted by robert11 (My Page) on
Thu, May 11, 06 at 9:13

Hello,

Hate to be a pest on this, but there is so much expertise on
this group, that I thought I'd ask again, hoping someone new might have any experience with this. I have been doing extensive lookups myself, honest, but just can't come up with any answers.

With T1-11 wood siding, I understand pretty much how the horizontal edges are sealed with Z-flashing, and how these edges should alo be primed, and spaced about 1/4" above the flashing to prevent any wicking into the end grain via capillary action.

But, it's the vertical edges where they abut the neighboring panels that I can't understand how they are sealed.

Are they just primed with some sealer, or is their a special type of flashing, or are they caulked (before or after being put up ?), or... ?

What is normally, or should be done, for these vertical edges ?

Any information would be most appreciated.

Much thanks,
Bob

BTW: are oil based sealer and primers O.K., or should one use only a latex type ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sealing Vertical Edges of T1-11 Siding: How ?

Vertical panel siding joints are always shiplapped and must fall on a stud. Sealant can be used if it is carefully applied to the lap. There should always be an underlayment behind the siding that laps over the z flashing at the horizontal joints.

Don't expect plywood panel siding to be the equal of horizontal siding or other cladding materials placed over underlayment and sheathing in terms of long-term weather resistance.

A water-borne acrylic latex primer should be fine unless the surface of the plywood is rough or damaged in which case it might be better to use a solvent-based, oil-modified primer (commonly referred to as alkyd or oil-based).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here