Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there any way to date beadboard?

Posted by jlc102482 (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 9:07

Is there any good way to date beadboard? I have some in a 1940s addition to my 1857 house that I assumed was contemporary, until I saw identical beadboard in this month's Old House Interiors that was said to be original to a Victorian house. Now I suspect that it was removed from the original kitchen of the house and moved, since the previous owners moved original woodwork, doors and windows into the addition as well. If it is original then I'd like to keep it up, even though it's not my favorite. Is there any way to tell approximately how old it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there any way to date beadboard?

If it has a narrow edge bead, and there is varnish/shellac as the earliest finish layer, it's probably pre-1900,
The straight-sided beads are older than the vee-bordered beads (the kind widely available today).
There's nothing conclusive, just a few clues to place it on a timeline.

There are many patterns of beadboard; the style with three very narrow beads down the middle of the board, and a single edge bead. Seen on houses 1890-1900.
6" wide extra-thick beadboard (a full inch or more) center and edge beads, used as partitions 1890-1910.
Hand-planed heart pine edge-beaded stock, 1 1/4" thick, finished both sides, random width (16" in some cases!), not parallel-edged, used as partitions in Federal period houses.
It runs the gamut.
Casey

o

Casey - is there any way to date this? These beadboards are in the ceiling to our addition (and a roof it on top of it). Sometime a drop ceiling was installed and we later added insulation. The ceiling did contain knob and tube wiring. We had major ice dams last year and this room (our old kitchen) was gutted.

The addition was added after 1825 (year main house built) and before 1880's. I know the later year since the addition is visible in pictures in the 1880's. Because of the muntin profile (very tall slender and I think from the Greek revival or Gothic period) my guess was that the addition was added 1840-1860's. Your thoughts? Thanks!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: muntin profile history

o

That does not look like very old stuff; I can see the rotary planer mark on the boards, so it's machine made. That kind of knotty pine has been around for a while. Maybe 1930 to present.
The closer the finished face is to 6" the older it is. Used to be a 5 1/2" face, now it's 5 1/4", because they are starting with a narrower board.
Casey

o

thank you Casey!

o

Here is an example of beadboard dating from 1814. The historical society came into our house some years back and documented parts that were original to the house for a publication they were putting out....so I am sure of the age.

Photobucket

Yikes, looking at the picture I can see I didn't paint very well in the beadboard grooves.... not so obvious in person, but wow does it show up in photos!

o

That looks like newer growth grain patterns to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here