Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
structural wall?

Posted by mylevi (My Page) on
Tue, May 18, 10 at 7:22

I live in a 1920's 2-storey semi-detached in Toronto. The house is brick construction with a flat roof. I want to remove a wall in the dinigroom which will expose the staircases going up to the second floor and going down to the basement. The wall runs parallel to the floor joists. My floorplan looks exactly like 'STRUCTURAL QUESTION' - Posted by: salami3 on Fri, May 14, 10 at 16:12 in this forum, EXCEPT THAT MY WALL RUNS IMMEDIATELY UNDER 'B'. There is no similar wall or posts under this wall in the basement. The basement is completely open without any support posts. There is no wall or support posts above this wall on the second floor. Can I remove this wall?

Here is a link that might be useful: farm2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: structural wall?

The question is whether the transfer beams are in the second floor or the first floor or both.

How can the wall be immediately under "B" and be parallel to the joists?

o

sorry I got up too early today. The wall is parallel to, and immediately adjacent to, the stairwells, and perpendicular to the ceiling joists.

o

how do I know what the transfer beamslook like?

o

They will be larger than the joists.

Is the entire structure exposed?

o

I want to remove a wall in the dinigroom which will expose the staircases

I've done precisely that renovation many times in TO. Up to a span of 15 feet, there are typically no other supports but the walls and the doubled headers around the stairs. The century homes I worked on had true 2x10s @ 16" on centre.

However, you should still get some expert on-site advice--from a building inspector if you can, though last I checked, a permit was not required for removal of partition walls.

You should be aware too that, over time, non-bearing walls can become bearing or partial bearing walls.

o

The joists are 2 X 10's @ 16" on centre. There are a set of doubled joists spanning the house on both ends of the square box which surrounds the stairs, one on the main floor ceiling and one on the basement ceiling. The staircase have a double header around them on the main floor ceiling and at the basement ceiling for the basement stairs. It looks to me like those double joists provide the support for the staircases and that I should be able to remove a 15' section of partition wall below the stairs.

o

one more thing I should mention, this wall that I want to remove doesn't even meet the staircase box above. There is about a 1/4 inch gap at the top.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here