Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Introduction and our old house

Posted by natemartinsf (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 1:02

My wife and I are in the process of closing on a nice old 1915 California Bungalow in Alameda!

I'm sure I'll be asking many questions here, so I thought I would introduce myself and our new house.

The house has been in the same family since it was built. We love old houses, so we're looking forward to maintaining the character that's already present, and restoring what's been changed. We'll of course make some sacrifices to modern convenience, but the goal will to make everything fit in and be appropriate.

We're working with a local contractor who has been highly recommended to us, and specializes in old homes in the area, and is always favoring restoring instead of replacing.

We're really looking forward to making the house beautiful, and finally living in a house we own.

Apparently the house was built by George Noble, who built many bungalows throughout Alameda.

I put some pictures up, see attached link

(Yes, we are planning on removing the brick they put up sometime in the 60s)

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions soon!

Here is a link that might be useful: pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Introduction and our old house

Rolling down

o

Welcome and congratulations. You have every reason to be excited, it's a lovely bungalow with lots of nice, solid details still intact. Will look forward to what you do with this.

o

Am I wrong for kind of loving that green wallpaper?

Charming bungalow that you have!

o

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

We're excited to start working on it. The wallpaper is... a bit much in person! Not shown is that it's even on the back of the door.

Would you think that would have been there in 1915, or likely added later?

It does have a certain charm though, so we're considering leaving it on at least one wall.

We are going to refinish the wood floor in that room. We think it was immediately covered with rugs and carpet, and was never actually walked on much. It should look nice after the glue comes off from some sanding.

o

that green wallpaper is pretty awesome.

i can't imagine it would look that clean if it is original.

you've got some great built-ins, great original windows, good floors. that house has a lot going for it.

o

Congrats! We are just across the estuary from you and also have a 1915 bungalow (with what looks to be an almost identical kitchen space). They are so much fun! If you haven't already discovered them, Jane Powell's bungalow books are a nice resource, too. (She was an Oaklander, so the books often featured local bungalows.) Builders Booksource in Berkeley has a wonderful collection of restoration books on California bungalows.

o

Thanks! I just bought a bunch of Jane Powell's books, thanks for the recommendation. Do you have any pictures of your bungalow anywhere?

o

Congrats! We're in a Victorian, but I say our next house will be a bungalow! So charming... good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Victorian house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here