Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uneven floor and kitchen/bath reno

Posted by sparklenj (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 08 at 0:33

Hello,
I have a 1920's house, about 24 x 16 (a 4-square/prairie hybrid, i think). The first floor has 3 rooms - kitchen and DR are the rear half of house with a wall between them. The floor in the kitchen and dining room are both uneven in that both curing somewhat towards the common wall. I got used to it but visitors notice it. The second story floors have no sag. In the basement there's nothing beneath the common wall.

I decided to redo the kitchen, mostly due to leaky pipe(s) in wall (not the kitchen/DR wall). The contractor said he will level out the kitchen floor (I plan to get wood). He is not an architect, however, so my first question is, do I need to get an architect or engineer to evaluate the floors before the kitchen guy starts? If I need to jack/sister(?) the sag (I don't know that means but read it here) is it ok to redo the kitchen and its floor now? Second question is, I also need to redo the bathroom that's right above the kitchen (no problems now but probably coming). In your view, what's better - do kitchen/bath reno together or spread them out, considering that it's an old house, has old iron pipes, etc.,?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Sarah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uneven floor and kitchen/bath reno

I think you need to get a structural engineer in there to examine your floors, your basement structure and anything else that needs doing. Don't start renos without knowing what the foundations of any job are, or you could just end up wasting money on bandaid solutions that won't last but could even destabilize existing structure.

o
RE: Uneven floor and kitchen/bath reno

Thank you, Lucy. I agree that bandaid solution is no good long term and am looking into structural engineers.

Correction on my house style - did some more research and it seems to be a 4-square and craftsman hybrid, if such a thing exists...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here