Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saphireny

Anyone do a Modular Addition

saphire
10 years ago

We have a 1930s solid brick colonial. I want to do a 36 x 20 two story addition across the back, which would become part of the main house. I know someone with a newer house (1960s) who did a second story modular addition 10 years ago and she is still happy with it. I have been in it and you really cannot tell. The whole project from first shovel to mostly complete took about a month!

My main concern is that it would not line up well with the existing house? The new rooms would double the size of my kitchen and add a family room behind the current living room. Upstairs it would be a master suite.

I just want the floors to line up. I have seen this NOT happen in stick built so go figure!)I am afraid they will not. A renovation would eliminate the use of our kitchen and all bathrooms for months so we would have to move out if we stick built. Modular appeals to me because of the speed and lack of onsite construction. Also, they claim a cost savings but did anyone do a comparison?

Comment (1)

• columbusguy1
    10 years ago

It would seem to me that the biggest concern is the limitations of modular construction--to get the lower price, I believe you are stuck with standard options for things like window size and ceiling heights. If you start customizing the modules, I think the cost would rapidly shoot up to where there is little difference between this system and normal construction.

My neighborhood has a lot of old housing stock, being in a university district, and many brick houses have wooden additions off the backs, so that isn't so odd...what really destroys the looks of the union is when you don't match any details with the main house, such as trim, window sizes or placement and roof slope. There are some truly hideous houses here which were once very nice two and a half storey brick, but to pack in students, have three story decks tacked onto the fronts...be very careful in the details you choose so that future owners will pass on your house because of an insensitive addition. When I was house hunting, I wouldn't even look at a house where things such as window openings were made smaller to fit newer windows, among other things.

You really need an extra 20 feet added to an existing kitchen? What are you feeding, an army? :)