Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wallpaper Repair

Posted by eddieg_2008 (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 08 at 0:03

I have a small section of a wall where a piece of wallpaper was torn off by a child. If we still had the piece, I would try to patch it back in, but we don't. In the same room, there are areas covered by the same wallpaper which are out of view. Is there a way to cut out a piece and transplant it to the area which is visible? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wallpaper Repair

eddieg 2008,

Yes you can do it. Be careful to match the piece you need when you find out where your taking it from. Oversize the piece.
Using a level and a pencil, mark the area you are going to remove. Score the outline with a wallpaper razor knife gently. Sanitest comes off real easy, paper is harder.
Using warm water with a sponge and 1" scraper start wetting the area your removing. Apply and apply and each time start working the knife under the paper. After a while, you will eventually remove the piece you want.

You can either just paste it over the area thats missing, a fair job. Or you can wallpaper razor knife through both pieces of wallpaper and remove the new piece and then carefully remove the edging remaining. Now paste the new piece right in place.
Whalla! Done.

Patience helps. Let the warm water have time to work its' way into the paper.

Good Luck,

All the best,

The PorchGuy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here