Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Different shades above and below picture rails?

Posted by paucie (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 08 at 22:52

Are the walls supposed to be painted different shades above and below the picture rail?

Our rail is about 18 inches or so from the ceiling and still the original stain.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Different shades above and below picture rails?

You commonly see either all the same colour top and bottom, or different colours here. I guess it's up to personal preference. I like a lighter colour top, daarker colour bottom personally.

o

I use the ceiling color above the picture rail; my ceiling color isn't "ceiling white", though. Also, my wall colors are medium/dark- I didn't want too much dark, so it stops at the 8' line, where the gold picture molding is. I like the effect.
Casey

o

How high are your ceilings? Also do you have crown molding and how wide is it. We have 12 foot ceilings and what we did was to paint rail and the area above the picture rail the same as the wide crown and the same finish, not the same as the flat ceiling white. This gives you the look of a very wide crown and has the same sheen as your crown. I love the way it turned out. Our walls then are all the different rich colors we used throughout the house. The trims are a rich "melted vanilla icecream color". Just another idea for you. Caroline

o

I've done mine the same way Casey did - ceiling color above the picture molding, wall color below. With high ceilings it makes the room more cozy. Also in a small room with high ceilings it makes the room appear bigger. Actually, any size rooms with high ceilings appear larger than they do with the wall color continued to the ceiling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here