Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trash or Vegetable Keeper?

Posted by roux42 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 22:50

Hello! There is a built in door in our kitchen below the window. The door is roughly 18 inches by 18 inches and has been painted shut. The building was built in 1913 and is a small 4 story 16 unit apartment building in Brooklyn NY. Does anyone know what this is? Is it lead lined? When we renovate our kitchen I would like to use it to store vegetable scraps. Would this work?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trash or Vegetable Keeper?

Two ideas--it could be for putting ice in the old ice boxes (the original refrigerators), or for the milkman to deliver milk. I remember our house had a metal chest on the front porch for milk when we moved into it in the early '60s--milk was still delivered that way for a while in the country.

o

Hi. Seems like I remember somebody mentioning such a door in another thread on here. It was used by the iceman who delivered the blocks of ice for the icebox. And maybe by the milkman too, I don't recall that.

I'm sure someone else will come back with a link to that other thread, or you can do a search on this forum to read the entire discussion. I have no idea if it is a lead lining or a zinc lining. If you need to know, pick up a lead test kit somewhere and find out.

o

It might attract pests to store compost in it. I know the raccoons find my compost irresistible so I'm happier if they're clawing at my compost bin outside than at my house. Not to mention rats and skunks.

KarinL

o

Nope it's a "cold box" used to keep stuff like milk and cream and butter and cheese in....warmer than the ice box and more easily accessable...in the years before that the common place was the window sill...for butter and cream...but you have an "up scale" version of the windowsill.
those that I have seen were lined with...tin? maybe? I was a kid and didn't anylize the metal! LOL!
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here