Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Speaking of cleaning bricks...

Posted by fori (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 22:06

My house is just a baby but it's been through a lot so I'll ask you all. :)

Part of a chimney was painted with interior paint (or maybe primer). Is there a chance that pressure washing would remove some of the paint without damaging the chimney? It doesn't need to look great because we plan on putting an addition over it in the future but I'd like it to look better in the meantime. The bricks are pretty scrappy looking anyway, by design, so it wouldn't have to be super clean. (I don't have a pressure washer so I'm wondering if it's worth getting one.)

The POs had a DIY addition in this spot which is why there are 3 colors of paint--original exterior color where parts of the addition were, new exterior color, and interior color, some of which is on the chimney.

Any suggestions on dealing with this? I don't want to paint the whole chimney since it matches the other chimney and both are sort of visible from the front of the house which also matches. The paint has been exposed to the elements for almost two years, but the elements don't amount to much here (USDA zone 10 and dry). We're preparing to have the place painted and I don't know what to do with this.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Speaking of cleaning bricks...

You can strip the paint with SoyGel. It is available from several sources online. We did the entire exterior of our home with it 2 summers ago and it worked great. If you give the product time to work (and are able to keep it from drying) we just scrubbed the bricks with a brass bristled brush and then hosed it off. Be sure to work from the top down to prevent the old paint you're removing from running down the freshly clean surface.

o

We had a brick home for about 15 years and when we removed the old gutters and shutters there was quite a thick sloppy paint job with a rainbow of colors built up over the years.

So I applied muriatic acid with a brush and then used a wire brush to remove the paint and it came off with no problem at all. Then I just hosed it down with water to remove any loose bits of paint. I only did small areas at a time but I was surprised how easily the paint came off. I expected this to be at least an all day job but it was only about 5 hours for two of us on a 2500 sf home.

There was also paint on our stone porch and front walk and I just used a wire brush to remove it.

Muriatic acid is very harmful so make sure to cover up your bushes/plants and wear a mask and gloves.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check them out. I even have muriatic acid handy but maybe I'll try the Soygel first. Muriatic acid isn't exactly my favorite thing to work with! =P

Luckily I can miss spots--apparently midcentury "used" brick includes some painted ones.

heyyyy....I thought I had a photo there in that first post. Oh well. Not necessary.

o

When we bought our home the brick looked awful,My hubby said no sand blasting,we had these guys come in with bio degradable cleaner ,cleaned everything from roof down what a beautiful job looks good still,This is what they do .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here