Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vintage sinks and garbage disposals

Posted by ideagirl2 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 11 at 22:00

Have any of you put a garbage disposal in an antique or vintage sink (say, 1925 through 1955 sink)? I love those old sinks, but am just wondering if there's any problem with that--like are the drain holes the wrong size or something. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vintage sinks and garbage disposals

First off, no I have not put one in a vintage sink.

But....

If you have the sink already, you can check the garbage disposal specs online, and see if the drain hole size will work.

o

I haven't got a garbage disposal, but I had to replace the drain fittings when I got my old sink from a dumpster, and put in new plastic drain lines. There was no problem finding the drain and fittings to do the job--I think the sizes are pretty standardized--the disposal fits to the drain assembly rather than the sink itself, so you should have no problems.

o

Garbage disposal sink baskets fit in the same size hole as the older sink baskets.

The disposal basket has the additional fitting below the sink to hang the garbage disposal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here