Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weight type object found - what could it be?

Posted by cjra (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 12, 09 at 21:46

We have a c.1880s pseudo-Victorian that we've been restoring after some years of neglect. The yard is always turning up stuff between the drought and then pounding rain. Each time it rains we never know what we'll find. 99% of the time it's 50 years of buried trash, occasionally it's some interesting metal piece, though nothing as exciting as my neighbors who some years ago found a bayonet from the Alamo (we're within the area that was the encampment for the Alamo) or the other neighbor who found a gold bar...

Anyway, so while digging this weekend I found this weird object. It appears to be the same material and weight as the window weights (original wood, double hung windows), but we're taken apart all our windows and haven't seen any such object. If it's not obvious from the pictures, it's flat on one side, sort of dome shaped on the other. It looks like it has a hole down the middle (for a rope?). I realize this is probably not very exciting, I'm just wracking my brain trying to figure out where this may have come from.

Any old house people have any thoughts?

139-3999_IMG

139-3998_IMG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weight type object found - what could it be?

Could be a weight from a gate? Sometimes they put weights on ropes or chains and it was attached between the gate and fence and it would keep the gate closed.

-rj

o

I have something that looks like this mounted on the wall near the cellar hatch doors on our 1883 brownstone. It looks like it could have been used to hold the door in the open position. As an alternate, it also resembles some type of bell, but I can't see what would make it ring.

o

To me it looks like a buggy anchor.

A short rope about 4 feet long is attached by feeding the rope through the hole from the rounded side to the flat side, then a knot is tied in the rope on the flat side to keep the rope from pulling back through. A snap is connected on the opposite end of the rope and it is carried in a buggy.

When they stopped the buggy the snap was attached to the horses bridle and the weight was dropped on the ground to serve as an anchor to hold the horse.

Here in N.E, Ohio many of the Amish still carry those weights in their buggies.

o

Interesting about the buggy anchor. That would make some sense as it was in somewhat close proximity to the former carriage house (now our garage).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here