Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
glass door knob fell off

Posted by mikend (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 11 at 21:28

Is there an easy way to reattach a glass knob that has fallen off the metal hardware on an interior closet ? I can pop the knob back into the handle, but it is loose, and eventually comes off. The only advice I found on the internet was to attach it with eopxy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: glass door knob fell off

Look closely at the part of the knob that fits over the shaft on the door lock mechanism. Can you see a small hole where a setscrew would be that might have loosened up?

o

The part of the knob that fits over the shaft is OK- the set screw is tight. The part that fell off id the glass knob. I will try to post a picture

o

You may be able to glue it back in to the metal portion.

o

brickeye - thanks - glue/epoxy may be the only option ?

I have linked pictures:

knobless

Photobucket

o

I would try one of the instant glues first and see it there is enough area for it to hold.

o

If the instant glue doesn't work, use an epoxy that dries clear...

o

Try using cat rear view mirror adhesive. its formulated to adhear glass to metal.

o

"Try using cat rear view mirror adhesive. its formulated to adhear glass to metal."

Same stuff as any other instant glue.

Just a fancier package.

o

Instant glue worked great (so far). Because of the ridges on the knob and hardware (for the knob to grip the hardware- there was plenty of surface area).

I wound up going to the historic house parts store and buying new knobs to replace the missing/broken ones in the insides of the closets (in case the kids close themselves in them), and swapping/replacing a bunch of knobs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here