Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Experiences with 'rubber slate' anyone?

Posted by heatheron40 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 21:26

We are looking into using one of the "rubber slate" products on the side porch of our Victorian home, to match the main roof. (The main roof is Virginia "Buckingham black slate"). The porch is constructed cathedral style of light joists with exposed tongue & groove boards and metal roofing.

The roof will not support real slate, and it is not a good choice due to icicles and snow falling from the main roof. We are sure copper would look horrible after one season of this abuse as well. (Other info: Pitch is about 3:12 and we don't want nails poking through the exposed underside of the roof.)

Of course the slaters' forums trash the rubber products, so we're looking for real experiences such as fading, curling, etc. Any advice is welcome, as well as what brands have worked well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Experiences with 'rubber slate' anyone?

Hi,
the trick to not having the nails poke through is to add another layer of sheathing, like 5/8" plywood. We do this when we build beadboard ceilings over exposed rafters.
My next-door people put on an artificial slate roof (replacing a failed one from 1905), but they kept their standing seam porch roofs. For the reasons you already understand, real slate would never have been used there, so it disagrees with the original appearance/visual logic of these houses.
Why not try hand-made painted standing seam in terne (tin) metal? Use snow birds on the slate to discourage massive snow slides, and let it develop the proper and expected wear marks, even dents. Historically, it would never have remained in a perfect state, and it's considered "fair wear & tear" (hopefully no actual tears).
Casey

o

I don't personally have one but I have watched for about 3 years a few that were done and they look beautiful.

o

Sorry I never got back to everyone about this dilemma!! We have been busy....! We rebuilt the porch and now are awaiting the roofer to come and install the terne- standing seam roof. I went ahead and included some pictures. This is really the side porch, although it has been used as the main entrance since anyone can remember. Now we just have to recreate details to finish it off. Since it was added at a much later date than the front porch-after 1898- details have been lost and or remuddled. I want square columns and the kids want turned. Harumph- hard to put my foot down when they help so much and have a great interest in what we do!!!

Some photos.....
Before:

During:

Thanks for your help eandhl and Casey!
Heather

o

Beautiful - I think tin is the perfect choice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here