Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I hate calcimine....

Posted by saintpfla (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 21:16

...let me count the ways. Ugh!!

What was 'supposed' to be a quick paint project of my master bedroom (I guess I should know by now, no such thing when you live in an old house)....... It is now a full-scale, 'remove peeling paint-plaster the cracks-lock the calcimine....then paint' project.

The thing is, this is an interior wall. I had thought that calcimine became an issue only if there was moisture in the wall? Am I incorrect in that opinion? The wall is close to the bathroom, but seperated by a closet.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!...and for listening to me complain!... ;-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I hate calcimine....

Nothing to do but what you are doing

Here is a link that might be useful: calcimine

o

Who knew! After scraping every ceiling and repainting with latex paint when we first moved in, I'm left with even more peeling. Currently, I'm going with the don't look up method--it is quick and cost-effective. Thanks for the link.

o

Thanks for the info, Christophern! You gave me a lot of good advice when I ran into this originally in my livingroom. It looks fabulous now, btw!

Here's some pics of the bedroom. Check out the paint peeling off like wallpaper....wow! Just amazing!

Also, that is the original color from 1925. It looks like they applied the paint onto the base plaster and never applied a final plaster finish coat. Could that be why the paint is peeling now?

I think the color is somewhere between coral pink and salmon pink......definitely not my favorite color at all!! But, I understand it was very popular in the '20s and it's very interesting to see this.

o

The calcimine problem is related to its less than strong hold on the plaster.

A new layer of paint puts additional strain on the poor bond and is starts to peel.

The more layers of calcimine that had been applied the worse the problem.

4-inch razor scrappers and a lot of elbow grease can usually get it all off.

But a LOT of spare blades.

The plaster dulls them very quickly, leading to increased surface damage to the plaster.

A new sharp blade can slice the calcimine off the plaster cleanly.

A scrub with TSP, then a rinse are next.

Apply primer, then paint.

o

I've done a few ceilings after a roof leak.

Was actually pretty simple. I spread plastic and newspaper across the floor and sprayed warm water on the ceiling with a garden sprayer. After doing that a few times, and spending perhaps an hour with multiple sprays to keep the ceiling damp, the stuff came off in huge sheets almost effortlessly with a 4" wallpaper scraper. The only places that were hard were where the calcimine already peeled and layers of the calcicote (sp?) paint had built up.

o

I'm dealing with this same problem in my bathroom...because of the lead paint, I'm choosing to tin the ceiling instead. Less headache and quite pretty in a vintage home!

o

Thanks for this post; I learned about something I didn't know. Thank goodness I haven't encountered this problem (yet!), in my old house. Hang in there, Saintpfla, sounds like you're on the right track and it'll turn out great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here