betsyhac

If You Saw This Wallpaper, What Decade Would You Think It Is From

betsyhac
11 years ago

{{!gwi}}

Comments (17)

• yborgal
    11 years ago

50's or 60's because of all the turquoise. Our appliances were turquoise back then.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

1940's, just because of all the red :)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

Why do you want to know?

• graywings123
    11 years ago

Late 60s or early 1970s?

• columbusguy1
    11 years ago

I get the impression of '50s paper, mainly due to the style and the details between the pictures. Obviously kitchen paper, and it would be great in a mid-Century one, but not elsewhere.

• azzalea
    11 years ago

50's (possibly as far back as late 40's). 60's were more hippie-ish, not that homey, generally speaking. It wouldn't have been early 40's because during the war, there wasn't much building or rennovating or redecorating going on--people made do with what they had.

I grew up in the 50's, and that's the sort of wallpaper that would have been popular back then. It's cute--are you planning on keeping it? and decorating around it? Could be a really interesting retro look

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Looks like post-war 1950s.

How old is the house?

Things like flooring and even door trim can give additional clues.

there is probably someone now making it for restoration purposes.

What is old is new.

• worthy
    11 years ago

1940s, me guesses from the reporting of our contemporarySheba of that long gone era.

• pinch_me
    11 years ago

Yes. 40's to 50's. I wanted to buy some like that until I saw the price. The original stuff was a hundred bucks a double. And it wouldn't be washable! Not in my price range. Here's one site where you can buy it. "My" paper isn't there. Whew!

Here is a link that might be useful: old kitchen wallpaper

• Laurie
    11 years ago

I'm thinking late 40's to 50's. Color tones and stylistically.

• cat_ky
    11 years ago

The house we moved into in 1959, had just had new wallpaper put into the kitchen, and it was that exact same wallpaper, so I am pretty sure it is late 50's.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"I wanted to buy some like that until I saw the price. The original stuff was a hundred bucks a double. "

Original old things are almost always expensive to very expensive.

You are paying for the original cost, plus interest, plus inflation, plus storage for a lot of years.

In some circles (cars) it is OOEM.

Old Original Equipment Manufacture.

It can be required for an old car to preserve the collector value.
    When you need original spark plug wires or belts for a 1950 collector car it gets VERY painful.
    Especially if you know what it cost back in 1950.

There was a guy a few years ago getting around $10 a screw for parts for original parts for 1860 era US military rifles.

I needed on screw to fix an 1866 Springfield trapdoor rifle (the lock was dated even earlier, around 1863)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

wanted to buy some like that until I saw the price. The original stuff was a hundred bucks a double. "

NOW it might be, but back then( as brickeye) has said, it was probably $5 or $6 a double, at most.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

Off topic but a while back a '55 Mercedes Benz 300SL sold at auction for $4.6 million. I read an article saying that parts for a brake job are still available through M-B's Classic Center. The parts alone will set you back about $14,000.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"The parts alone will set you back about $14,000."

Storage and long term capital recovery is a real PITA.

There are entire industries around buying up discontinued items and saving them for later sale.

It is possible to sometimes find a matching tile from 50 or 60 (or even longer) ago to make a repair.

A tile thaw cost pennies 60 years ago is VERY expensive now.

Or you can replace a whole wall or walls.

• worthy
    11 years ago

pinch me's link has the paper at US$95 per double roll, two rolls available.

I would think that such paper might be used more for highlighting and atmosphere, rather than doing complete rooms.

• betsyhac
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your opinions. I have actually purchased the paper from Rosie's Vintage for only a small area of accent coverage in my remodeled kitchen in a 1924 Sears Kit House Bungalow, even tho it was quite expensive. Rosie's thought it was late 30s or early 40s. I guess I'm going to have to say that I'm remodeling my kitchen in vintage style, tho not strictly 20s. I like that the paper does look vintage and, most importantly, that it's red and aqua, the colors I've chosen. I was interested in the impression it would give, so I appreciate everyone's comments.