Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixiechick_07

Pics of panel wainscoting in Living Room

dixiechick_07
14 years ago

We are getting ready to do a major reno in the LR of our 1871 home. I am wanting to add some era appropriate detail to the bottom of the walls, as the ceilings are 11 feet tall. Was wondering if anyone could share pics of applications. Am wondering if putting 1X material to form a panel would work or should I use a moulding and do faux panel look. Please, if you have pics of any of the applications, I would appreciate some ideas. Have nixed beadboard, as I want something a little more "traditional". Thanks

Comments (6)

• 66and76
    14 years ago

We used a faux wainscoting technique in our back hall. Our 1910 house has 12' ceilings. The chair rail is 5' from the floor. The base boards are 9" wide. The 1" x 4" vertical boards are spaced 22" apart. I bet we used a case of caulk before painting to make everything look solid and tight. Everything from the chair rail to the floor was painted with two coats of oil-based enamel paint. The walls were painted a cigar leaf brown. We hired a carpenter in install and paint the crown molding and corner blocks. It took a lot of time and effort, but the hall looks much more finished. You can do it!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• 66and76
    14 years ago

Here is another picture from the opposite end of the hall.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• dixiechick_07
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks pinkpaula. I love the look you have created. The color is beautiful. I appreciate your sharing with me. Approx how long did it take to put the boards up. Am trying to coordinate timing with carpenter.

Seeing how beautiful yours is makes me want to do this application. Thanks again.

• 66and76
    14 years ago

Thank you! Since my husband and I did everything except the crown molding, it took us 2 days to install all the wood, 2 days to caulk ALL the gaps, and about a week to complete the two coats of oil-based paint, which must be completely dry between coats. A professional carpenter could do this job faster. The hardest, and most important, part is making sure everything is level and at right angles. In an old house, nothing is ever level, so this was our biggest challenge. I did a Google search on how to install wainscoting and came up with many good suggestions. Good luck!

• jedwards601
    14 years ago

This is the original wainscot in our 1907 home, which has never been painted. Disregard the wallpaper...please!

• julia_beatport_com
    14 years ago

If your going to use a wood product I just put in some cedar wainscoting from www.cedarwalldesigns.com. It turned out absolutely beautiful.

They have a bunch of pics on their site

Here is a link that might be useful: cedarWallDesigns.com

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures