Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rounded glass for windows

Posted by CPascal (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 7, 11 at 19:29

Hello, I live in a 1905 Victorian home with a rounded turret. We have 9 turret windows that need to be replaced. The prior owner took out the original curved glass and sashes and replaced them with cheap, new white vinyl windows with flat glass. Not only do they look bad (flat glass on a rounded turret), but their performance is very poor and much of the vinyl hardware is broken. Buying custom fit curved glass is extremely expensive to the point that it's not an option for me. Does anyone have any suggestions on replacing these sashes in way that will improve both performance and appearance in a relatively cost effective way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rounded glass for windows

I am repairing some rounded windows with arched tops for a customer right now.

So far only a few short pieces of muntin need to be made from scratch.
The rest is salvageable with filler (and some careful carving to match the old profiles).

You are correct that replacement is VERY expensive.
There is just not a large market for curved windows (other than flat with arched tops).

Since the original sashes are gone there are not really a lot of options except newer flat windows.

If there are any salvage yards in your area you might call them and see if you can purchase anything, or look for a similar house being torn down (or even getting new windows).

o
Voodoo is the only answer in these cases

Get your hands on a picture of the previous owner, some sewing pins, and some matches.

o
RE: rounded glass for windows

"Get your hands on a picture of the previous owner, some sewing pins, and some matches."

An excellent suggestion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here