Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone know EX-Cel PVC Trim?

Posted by ribidibi (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 19:00

We are redoing the outside of our 1904 house in Boston using Apex boards and want to use PVC trim. But since we want colored trim -- don't want to paint -- we are hoping the EX-Cel color trim will be the answer to problem.

Has anyone used it? Any comments?

Thx! Ri

Here is a link that might be useful: EX-Cel color palette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone know EX-Cel PVC Trim?

i had a chance to look at this trim yesterday. our area home depot started carrying it. i actually thought it looked really good and attractive. i was considering it as interior trim. i don't think it really mimics wood, because it doesn't have that texture and it will weather unnaturally well. but the positive take on that is that it will look new for a really long time.

our neighbor installed a pvc fence. it is as beautiful as the day they put it in. but i am also sort of unsettled by its presence and how it doesn't weather at all.

if you like the way it looks, there is no reason not to go for it from a performance standpoint.

i'm not familiar with the apex product. the interaction between the siding and the trim makes an enormous aesthetic difference. with vinyl that interface is often bizarre-looking, where the cut out the vinyl to make room for the trim rather than putting the trim on top of the siding.

This post was edited by civ_IV_fan on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 10:34

o

I just installed PVC base trim on the bottom of two porch columns due to rot. Other than making a real mess with the PVC sawdust (very fine and dusty...recommend using a mask when cutting), I found it cut very easily. Can't comment on durability yet. It is smooth...too smooth and does not look like wood. But because of frequent rot in this area that gets direct roof runoff, I can live with it.

o

We're going with the Ex-Cel - love that I could choose exterior trim to complement my siding color palette.The factory process applies a two part ceramic pigment, urethane finish that offers a beautiful matte finish while also offering exceptional durability. Now that the trim is actually on-site and I can look at it, I love it even more. It's going to look wonderful (fingers crossed) on the house. Will add pix when the trim is up.

o

If this is cellular PVC, it expands greatly in sunlight so light colors and/or special paint is required.

How do you hide the nail holes?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here