Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time for a new roof ???

Posted by toomuchglass (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 11 at 18:49

We've lived in this house for 16 years . The people before us had a complete roof tear off - so we are starting with one layer. Suddenly -- we're finding all those little black & gray granular pieces falling like rain on our sidewalk.
I know the last owners never went cheap ... but what's happening now ? I hope it's not time for a new roof :(

PS -- THANK YOU !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time for a new roof ???

If you live in a northern area, chances are this winter's unusually heavy snow and ice dragged off a greater than normal amount of the grit that's part of your roofing. Normally some of that stuff comes all the time and you don't see it. But if a lot comes off all at once it kind draws attention to itself. Use binocs to examine the surface to make sure there's no torn spots, or missing pieces just to be sure.

HTH

L

o
RE: Time for a new roof ???

That's what shingles do.

In warmer climates, 15 years is about right for a 20-year roof; in colder climates you might make it to 20, though the roof could be looking pretty ratty by then.

If you really plan to live there longer, go for heavier shingles.

We built a house for a former neighbour who insisted on 50-year shingles--265 lbs. per square (100 sq. ft.) . That was in 1989. He's still there and the original roof looks fine. I'm in my seventh home since then.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here