Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these walls made of?

Posted by autumpnereyn (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 18:40

Hi all,

This house was built in the 1920's and has lots of character. One of my favorite features is the texture of these interior walls. As I look into sprucing the place up a bit, I really want to maintain this old world feel. When drilled into, it flakes apart easily and is kind of powdery. Does anyone know what this stuff is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these walls made of?

Beaver Board or Building Board was all I remember it being called, 60's or 70's and pretty sure has not been made in many years.

o

We used to call it "stucco board" not to be confused with today's stucco board, made from cement. It was used for exterior renos to mimick stucco, but without its durability.

o

I think it is a plaster It can be applied over concrete or cinder block, brick, stone or wood. It creates a durable, hard surface that conforms to flat or curved walls and ceilings. Plaster can last for hundreds of years, but has one major enemy that will cause plaster walls to become powdery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern House Plans

o

It looks like beaverboard or blackboard--a fiberboard of wood bits and other scraps. Non hazardous I believe.

o

It is impossible to be sure if this is a poorly textured wall finish or paint on a wood fiber board as others have suggested.

You need to do more work to find out if the material is worth saving. I would cover it with 3/8" GWB.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here