Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help solve our dining room problem. Please!

Posted by IBsmilin (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 17:49

Oh the madness! We knew we were moving to a smaller home, but we did NOT realize we'd be crawling over each other's laps to get to our seats around the table. Wow! We need some solutions here!

photo cacd6b33-e818-44b0-a549-3f2dee24f2ea.jpg

photo 2ef932b3-5f21-4cc8-be4d-c10160b427c3.jpg

This room is 8' wide and the distance from the back wall to the door leading down to the basement is 4'5" If a table & chairs come out about 6.5' it's fine because there's still room to flow through the galley kitchen to that basement door, but really we can't push much past that. We'd build in a bunch of benches, but the problem is those big long windows! We LOVE the windows, but they are so impractical for solving our space problem. What would you do with this space? No, we can't move walls because then we'd be basically be adding another room to the house as this is an addition already. Sure do wish the origional owners would've added just two or three more feet to this addition. It would've made all the difference for us!

*Edited. Trying to figure out how to post those pictures! Hope it works!

This post was edited by IBsmilin on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 17:53

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help solve our dining room problem. Please!

A square table is pretty inefficient; could you use a round one?

o

A narrower table with a bench or two?

o

Did you ever notice a significant difference when changing from a small square table to a small round table? I agree, round might be better, but I don't know that it would solve the problem. If there's nothing else we could do, I guess we could get a more narrow table & some benches. We need to seat five regularly, though & I dont see us going much smaller on the table.

o

Try turning the table 90 degrees so it's diamond shaped in the square alcove. That will make the 2 back sides more accessible.

o

How about a narrow table with a short end butting into the window area and two chairs on each long side? You can get tables as narrow as 28 inches.

Here is a link that might be useful: Narrow dining tables

o

Thanks for all the suggestions! I immediately tried the diagonal table suggestion & it made a HUGE difference! Next up is getting three sets of benches made. Wish I would've thought to turn the table! Thanks!

o

You might also consider a built in banquette with storage underneath. A table and banquette takes up less space than a table and chairs or a table and benches. It is more difficult to get in and out, so it's best if the banquette is for the kids and the chairs pulled up to it house the adults.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here