Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Good source for mission style door hardware?

Rudebekia
18 years ago

I need to purchase the handle/lockset for a new arts-and-craft style hardwood front door. Can anyone recommend an online source? I can't seem to find anything suitable in local hardware or lumber stores. Thanks.

Comments (14)

• joyce_6333
    18 years ago

The brand we got is EMTEK. There are many sources on line, but I found the best price at Decorative Hardware Direct. They were nice to work with, and their price was about 1/3 less than many other places. It was free shipping at the time we got our, don't know if they stil do that.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Joyce. I'll try them!

• joyce_6333
    18 years ago

Here's a pic of our back door handle. We paid $124 including tax (free shipping) from Decorative Hardware Direct.

Joyce

Here is a link that might be useful: Door hardware

• bungalowbees
    18 years ago

Rejuvenation is my top pick for great products, great service. They know what they're doing. Not cheap.

Crown City Hardware is more persnickety and an especially good choice if you have more cash than you know what to do with...
    http://www.crowncityhardware.com/collections/door/entry/sets/craftsman/craftsman.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Rejuvenation

• edselpdx
    18 years ago

Not cheap, but my Craftsman forntdoor looks SPECTACULAR with this!

Here is a link that might be useful: craftsmen hardware

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I am looking at Rejuvenation's choices. Boy, these things are not cheap!!

Can someone please tell me what exactly a "mortise" door handle set is? The Rejuvenation sets specify that they are mortise sets. A Schlage set I am also looking at doesn't say mortise anywhere on it. If it is not mortise, what is it? Thanks.

• dayleann
    18 years ago

Marita, nowadays all door handle and lock sets are set in a mortise in the door, so generally it is simply assumed. (A mortise is the rectangular cutout in the edge of the door that the lock and/or latch is set into.)

Some places catering to historical accuracy also offer Old-style morticeless latches. If you click on the words "mortice latch" in the rejuvenation description, it will pop up an explanation for you.

Some older homes (like mine) have surface mounted latches. I have kept them for historic value, but my outside doors have mortice deadbolts locks and latches installed. If you are using an existing door, you have to be careful that the mortice will accommodate your new lock set, including the distance from the edge of the door to where the knob or handle attaches. One of my doors required filling part of the old mortice, and adding a wrap-around brass plate to cover the patch.

If there are places near you that recycle house parts, you might take a look. There are some great finds to be had. I love going to places like that. By the way, that is how Rejuvenation got its start. I lived in Portland, OR back then, and was one of their first customers, when it was just a storefront full of nifty doors and stuff from old houses being torn down. They still have that, but you have to go to Portland to see it now-- the lighting and hardware reproductions that they sell by catalog grew out of the original house part recycling. Place is cool. There are places like that almost everywhere now.

Dayle Ann

• golddust
    18 years ago

Go Ebay! We picked up all of our door hardware from there. We have some great - authentic - hardware. We paid $120.00 for our entry door. A giant 11" faceplate that covered the sins of an old door set. Everyon raves about it (including us). Just do your homework - make sure it fits and don't cheap out. Even on Ebay, you get what you pay for. (We bought a couple $28. sets that we ended up not using. Yard sale alert!)

The greatest thing is that you can match your existing hardware or not. Remember to be patient. There will always be another great set listed very soon!

We had skelton keys made for the lock set & our keyman was *very* impressed by the great quality of the locks.

If you want high quality but don't want to pay the price, you'll have to be an educated buyer, but Ebay is the only way to go, IMO.

Also, we've used http://www.historichouseparts.com with great success in the past... They are reasonable.
    Good luck!

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all your advice. After much looking, I ended up with a full mortise handleset/lock from Rejuvenation. They offer three; I got the "Putnam." It hasn't been installed yet but I'm really happy with it. Also purchased some 4" ball top hinges for an authentic period look.

(Hey, what's the deal with Dann's ad posted above? That's the first time I've seen a spammer infiltrate this forum. Spike, where are you?)

• brickeyee
    18 years ago

"...nowadays all door handle and lock sets are set in a mortise in the door..."

Most modern locks are cylinder locks. They mount in a bored hole in the door, not a mortise.
    Higher end locks are often still mortise locks, but having a door mortised is much more expensive the a modern cylinder lock install.

• CherylAP
    18 years ago

All my kitchen cabinet hardware came from Rejuvenation Lighting, as did both pendants over the island and the chandelier over the table (all mission style and in brushed nickel).

GREAT customer service, and wonderful products.

I wish I had a Tudor house, though; I'm in love with the bat and snake lighting fixture that they have!

• bungalowbees
    18 years ago

CherylAP, I'm suffering through my second remodeling dispute with my DH over that bat light. Man claims I never listen to him and that he is still forlorn I didn't put that bat light up over the toilet in the little "reading room" of our restored bath. Tried to get me to order one for the kitchen... Sigh. The fine folks at Rejuvenation promised me that if I ever give that man a bat light over his toilet they will print a photo of him happily using it!!!

Recently received my latest order from R. for our Craftsman era kitchen. Kitchen lights and hinges in polished nickel, door chime for displaced plastic chime from another era. Everything beautifully packed, as usual. Door chime is up and in use in the hallway, lights are sadly weeks away from shining. Went with transition styling this time for a softer look. This is apparently as wild as I get...

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    18 years ago

How funny about that bat light! It is really a unique product and catches my eye everytime I look at the Rejuvenation catalog. Maybe you should break down and order one for your hubby's B-day--for his workroom or the garage?? I have to tell you, though, that I wouldn't do it. It makes me shiver to look at it because I had a horrific experience with the real thing at one point in This Old House--a little bat invasion that still gives me the creeps to think about. Not a pretty scene.

I agree that Rejuvenation is the best. I ended up ordering three 4" ball top hinges and a full mortise lockset from them for my new front door. The door is not in yet (on the way), but the hardware is gorgeous. Can't wait for it to be installed. The Rejuvenation people are always wonderfully helpful, the website is great, and things are packaged beautifully. Incidently, I'm attending a conference in Portland in June. It will be my first visit to that city and I'm planning to stop in their store!

• iammrhandy
    16 years ago

This website actually sorts their hardware by styles and Mission style just happens to be one, check out this link!

Here is a link that might be useful: KE Hardware Mission Style Decorative Hardware

Sponsored
Van Metre Homes
Average rating: 4.2 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Home Builder | 5x Best of Houzz