Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cast Iron Tub restoration/ re enameling?

Posted by autumngal (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 6, 09 at 17:14

Hello,
I've posted a few times about our house- an 1898 colonial revival/american foursquare, we are working on our kitchen and our bathroom is the next much needed item on our list. The claw foot tub is amazing, but has some rust spots, should we just leave it as it is, or are there good products to do a restoration? I realize to truly re-enamel it we would need to remove it from our house and bring it somewhere, which I really don't want to do at this point in time. Our sink isn't in terrible shape, but it isn't pretty and I'm interested in knowing the same idea for this- would we make it better or worse trying to restore it? Finally, is this something we can do ourselves?

I can post photos if that would help-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cast Iron Tub restoration/ re enameling?

Autumn: here is a "before" pic of our old sink. The next picture shows an "after". I had Perma Glaze restore. It cost about $170, if I remember right. They would have done it either on site, or at their shop. I chose to have them take it to their shop just to get it out of the way during renovations. I never even considered doing it myself. I thought $170 was a pretty good deal. We've been using it for 8 years, and the new finish has been perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Before and after of old sink

o

There are companies which will refinish tubs on site using sand blasting, acid etching and various refinish options such as epoxy. I don't think tub refinishing is really a DIY project. There are kits on the market designed for homeowner use, but I don't think they're likely to work very well for the inexperienced or last very long.

o

Wow Joyce- what a sink! That's amazing! I hadn't even thought of doing it ourselves until looking into it a bit and it sounded like the only way to officially restore a sink and tub was to get the enameling off and then re-firing it. It sounded like any alternative to that wasn't quite so permanent, but Joyce's sink looks not only permanent, but really fantastic.

Joyce, where did you find your restorer? Did you just look in the phone book, or did you find them elsewhere?

Thanks!

o

Autumn -- I believe Perma Glaze is a national franchise, and I'm sure there are others, too. Yes, I found them in the phone book. If you have an architectural antique place near you, they may possibly recommend someone.

We're very pleased with the sink. Wish I could take it with me when we get the house sold, but I'd feel guilty not leaving it for the new owners.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perma Glaze franchise locator

o

Thanks Joyce, I appreciate the info-

Good luck selling your home, I hope that your new place has a sink just as lovely!

o

We hired a company to restore our iron tub. Cost maybe $400, and has a 5 or 7 year warranty. Worth every penny. They do all the taping off, can complete the job in your home in a matter of two days, and it will look brand new.

o

Thanks for all the tips, I have two 1912 cast iron claw foot tubs ready to be restored.
Rudy w/vision

o

If it is not oven fired it is not porcelain, it is paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here