Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plastered swirls on ceiling & walls

Posted by tzerrusen (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 15, 09 at 16:51

I've got plastered swirls on my ceilings and walls. The house was built in 1969 when the swirls were popular. I want to get rid of all the swirls. Has anyone done this before? What's the best way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plastered swirls on ceiling & walls

Perhaps have a plasterer come in and put another layer of plaster over the swirls. Same with the walls. Sometimes, painting it can "fill in" the swirl marks a little bit and help. I just did this in a room in my house with swirls. However, the grooves on the swirls were very minimal. I painted the ceiling with two coats of flat ceiling paint...all by hand so it really got in the groves. A neck and back ache later, they definitely look better, but could probably use one more coat to eliminate the look. I won't have an entirely "flat" ceiling, but it will eliminate the swirls.

Best of luck, keep us posted!

o

If this is anything like a "popcorn" effect ceiling, you may be able to spray it with a wallpaper sprayer, saturate it, and scrape it off with a trowel or scraper. ?????

o

Now, the swirl pattern is usually done by mudding the ceiling and taking a trowel or other object and just manually swiping it over the wet compound and letting it dry. It was originally done to cover imperfections on old plaster ceilings, and it 'caught on' and most new homes here had them and still do.....done on drywall. I think contractors like to do them, because it takes the work away from having to do a very even skim coat and sanding it to make a perfect surface for paint.

I have sanded the swirls down on those dudes in one house I owned. I actually like to work plaster and drywall finish and have been in the process of finishing off walls in my old house over the years my husband had slapped wallpaper on, because he was time constrained to move in and it was the easiest finish to put up and cover minor imperfections on the plaster. My God, the rooms were so 'busy' with all the different patterns, it got to me.

I have never had a popcorn ceiling, but they look like nightmares as far as collecting dirt and grime in the crevices. I think most of them are blown on with a special applicator.

If you do sand the ceilings or walls to remove swirl texturing, you would want to know the composition of the wall as to lead or other dangerous material in the plaster or finish..... and proceed accordingly, and also want to use very good respiratory protection.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here