Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackcats13

I got new windows!!

blackcats13
15 years ago

OK, so they're not really new, they just weren't mine before. And they are in the garage, not in the wall. In fact, they are pretty old and will give me some good project work. DH went to a local demolition sale today and brought home 3 wood double hung windows for $105! They need to be taken apart and restored, but eventually they will look so much more lovely on the front of my house then the vinyl picture window trio that is there now.

Comments (10)

• missouri1
    15 years ago

Oh good find!! :)

• peanutmom
    14 years ago

That is great. Although, they sound like what I have been taking out of my home. DH and I have restored a few that we couldn't afford to replace, but those we have have been sizes that wouldn't work with what we were doing are gone. I admire your patience. I don't think I want to do all of them in my house. Good luck, and show us some pics when you get them restored and installed.

• rodpaine
    14 years ago

Restored old windows, plus the addition of an interior insulating windows, results in a very efficient package. It's a lot of work, but I found my results to be well worth while. I've documented much of the work, at the link provided. Good luck!
    -Rod

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoring old windows

• SuzyQ2
    14 years ago

Hurrah! I have to admit when I opened this thread I thought it was going to be someone telling us about how they took out their old windows and put in vinyl :-) Relieved.

• blackcats13
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Rod, I'll definitely check out that link, thanks!

Hehehe, suzyq2!!! I admit a little imp made me do that ;)

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

Oh Rod, your website brings back such memories & the thrill of seeing windows transformed from eyesores to one of the biggest assets in an old house!

• redbirds
    14 years ago

Blackcats, congrats on your windows, and thank goodness they are oldies. :)

Rod, thank you so much for sharing your hard work with us. Redoing all the windows ourselves, one at a time, is on our list, and your site is very informative.

• peanutmom
    14 years ago

Rod, your restoration photos and explainations are amazing. I had given up finding something or someone to show me, step by step, how to restore old windows. You have, hands down, the best process I have seen on the internet. WOW! I think I may have to reconsider doing the rest of the windows in my old house. Replacements are outrageous, and I would love to build some of those wooden storm windows. Process Please! I have some that were torn out of my upstairs and replaced with old doulble hung pine frames from an old house that was torn down. Great job and thank you for the inspiration.

Blackcats13, I love your sense of humor and thank you for starting this thread.

• SuzyQ2
    14 years ago

Rod - very nice explanation of the process of restoration. I followed much the same process.

One thing I'll mention is that I Also tried the 3M V channel, but had better luck with a bronze V channel weatherstripping from that I got through Killian Hardware. Very sturdy, stays in place and also makes the sash move really smoothly. For what it's worth :-)

• blackcats13
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've heard of the bronze one ... on this old house maybe? Old house journal? I can't really remember, but I do remember it was recommended.

Thanks peanutmom =D