Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
steam risers

Posted by kareena (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 5, 10 at 14:39

I live on the 5th floor of a 6 story building from 1929, and have risers in the kitchen and bathroom that contain steam heat as it travels thru the building from apt to apt. They've been covered in various layers of paint which I'd like to completely remove before I paint them again. any recommendations as to what product would be safe to use? My contractor wants to build an enclosure around them, but I'd prefer not to. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: steam risers

Insulate them and enclose them for better performance and less noise.

o

"Insulate them and enclose them for better performance..."

Of course this will also reduce any heat they are providing to your unit.

o

that's what I'm trying to avoid - these risers are the only sources of heat for the apartment. They aren't beautiful, but necessary. So, if I don't enclose them, how can I 'pretty them up'?

o

You forgot to tell us you don't have any radiators in your apartment. What do the pipes serve on the floor above?

o

the risers run up the entire building thru all the apartments in the same line at the same location. My risers are in the kitchen and bathroom. On the top floor, above me, the riser has a valve that lets out the steam (as I understand it). And, yes - no other radiators are in the apartment. I don't know whether to call these steam pipes, heat risers or both.

o

A steam riser is any vertical pipe that carries steam up to a heating unit. If there are no heating units the riser could be called the heating unit but it is configured for poor heat transfer (radiant and convection). You can chemically strip it and paint it with a rust and heat resistant spray paint but avoid aluminum paint if you want good heat transfer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here