Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plaster meets drywall

Posted by billl (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 29, 09 at 13:27

Ive got an exterior wall with a chimney that protrudes into the room. The wall was originally plaster, but when I took off the lovely 70's paneling, there was only a crumbled mess.

We put up new drywall on the wall, but the chimney was in good shape (at least externally). Now, I'm not sure how to address the joint between the drywall and the chimney plaster. Based on my experience with mudding drywall, I know I am unqualified to use any plaster type products that cannot be sanded to correct my sloppy work. Will tape and joint compound work in these corners since half the joint has drywall to cling to or should I use some sort of plaster patch? If I have to go the plaster route, is there any sandable patch product?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plaster meets drywall

Mud and tape it like any other drywall seem.

o

Try Easysand.
It sets up with much less shrinkage, but can still be sanded if you mess up.

o

I wouldn't bother with the tape - use a bonding agent like plaster weld or elmers pro-bond - & apply to all surfaces including edge of the plaster, drywall edge and the gap between, and then fill gap with patching plaster. Is this a corner joint? If so you can get a corner shaped trowel type thing to shape it.

I've done numerous plaster/ drywall joints using the bonding agent and 10 yrs later they're still looking good.

o

Yes, the chimney sticks into the room, so there are two 90 degree-ish corners where the drywall meets the plaster.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here