Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1830's Bedroom

Posted by hillcresthoney (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 08 at 13:25

Our home was built in the 1830's and we are now trying to remodel a small bedroom for a guest bedroom. What should we use on the floor, ceiling and walls to be as historically correct as feasible? The walls currently have wallpaper that has been painted over; the ceilings are the blown in "popcorn-type" texture, and the floors are painted 2x4s. All suggestions appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1830's Bedroom

I've got a 1830's Federal-style home. My bedrooms all have wood floors not sure of the type but it's the same thru out the house. plaster and lathe walls with wallpaper...they have never been painted and plaster and lathe ceilings all with crown mouldings which is slightly open on top to allow picture hangers to be slide in so pics can hang off of chains and the walls don't get boogered up with nail holes.

o

You could have had painted floors and an oil cloth carpet in the middle, or wall to wall flat carpet - depends on the wealth of your family. Your floors would not be bare or stained wood.

Your walls could have been wallpapered as you have seen. You could have had a chair rail.
The period wallpaper and carpet patterns might not appeal to you. I personally wouldn't want to live with the patterns or colors although it's very interesting to see them in historic house museums. The patterns are pretty small and repeat quickly because the rollers that put the paint on the paper were small.

Your ceiling would have been flat plaster, white to reflect light.

I think your crown mouldings may be added since those picture hangers date to later in the 19th century. But you could have had some kind of crown moulding, so yours may be original. The space between the moulding and the ceiling adds a shadow line as well as compensating for a possibly uneven connection between the ceiling and wall, ie: it's hidden by the shadow so you can't see it.

It sounds as if your house was updated between 1950 and 1975 when that ceiling was quite popular for covering up problems. We have one that flakes off... the room has little bits of white plaster on the floor and never looks clean! I wash it down to help it along, not really wanting to scrap it.

o

For pictures and information check my sites
http://picasaweb.google.com/grazhe
Look at the Strawberry Banke and Sturbridge Village albums, they have pictures of rooms from that period.

http://victoriandecorating.blogspot.com/
There's a section called 1830-1850.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian decorating with link to albums

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here