Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryinthefalls_gw

1st time poster with a dirty brick house

maryinthefalls
11 years ago

We purchased an 1925 brick colonial in NY last fall. Now that spring may be near, I want to address some of the issues the inspector mentioned on the exterior such as getting the chimney repaired and capped, and some of the brick work repointed.

Some sections of bricks are very dirty and we want to clean them. I also want to get rid of the ivy pieces that still remain after I pulled down the stems a month ago. My question is how to clean the dirt off without damaging anything, and do I do this before or after the repointing? We have a reputable old house mason, but I'd like to know what to expect and if I can DIY any of this. Should I be power washing the entire façade? Or use a house wash product (which one)? One post I've read recently suggested using oxyclean. I'm not sure how. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I also need to paint most of the trim in the next year or two.

This forum has kept me from doing irreparable damage to the interior this winter and now I don't want to make a mistake outside either. Thanks for your replies.

Comments (5)