Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmitch

thoughts on decorating

msmitch
15 years ago

Hi, I'm new here to the forum. Hope someone can help. We bought a house/cottage and are about to take on the task of decorating. The dining area I'd like to paint in two colors with wainscoting separating the two. There is a free standing fireplace in the room which my hubby & I wish to keep. I know the pro's & cons, but my question here is should I paint the fireplace brick? I've added some photos so you can see my idea for the room. An artist I'm not, but I did make an attempt at what the room would/should look like. The colors are a little off so I also added a photo of the paint sample room that I'm going by.

As for the living room, we are going to drywall it and add a wall with arch to separate it from the dining area. My question, does it have to be painted a color that will flow with the dining area? Or can it be two distinct colors. Money is a bit short so we can't change our furnishings at this time, so what are the thoughts on a color if it needs to flow with the dining room. There are roses, gray-blue's, tan, beige colors in the sofa with a black throw rug in the room.

Appreciate any suggestions. Photos can be seen here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Decorating

Comments (5)