Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Patches separating from plaster? Water??

Posted by kaitz33 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 11 at 12:30

I purchased a house about a year and a half ago and the entrance/living room area had some signs of repair.. the ceiling and doorway were a different texture & obviously patched. Per the disclosure & the homeowners, they were not aware of any water damage although the room is directly below the bathroom they put it.

I painted the area over the texture about a year ago.. about a week ago I noticed that the paint/texture was hanging down in a place (looked like it was sagging with water in it). I panicked thinking it was a pipe or leaky roof, but there was no wetness at all, infact it was really dry, like crumbly dry. It has since rained a lot and no wetness, but the surrounding paint/patched areas are also starting to separate from the plaster, and again aren't wet.

This area is directly below an attached enclosed entryway that has a separate tiny nonvented roof with no access. There was recently a huge change in climate from about 40 degrees daily to low 80s and wet. There is not any sign of condensation..

The main area damaged is around an interior doorway (with no door/jamb) and I'm thinking about just framing out the doorway and putting a thick molding around it which will hide a lot of the damage, and just patching the rest.

I guess my question is, is there any way this could be some sort of leak or can humidity cause that kind of damage? It looks AWFUL but is only in that area and no where else. The surrounding plaster is fine, just the patched areas are bad.. The plaster underneath the missing pieces is hard/firm and not wet at all. any thoughts?

thanks for reading my novel!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Patches separating from plaster? Water??

The failure for the patch to bond well could be a number of things. Incompatible patching material or some wallpaper paste residue come to mind as two.
Casey

o

pictures would really help. if the paint is just peeling, perhaps there area wasn't primed properly or they painted without scraping the surface first. but if you are talking about sagging of the actual plaster (i am assuming plaster and lath wall), then your plaster has become detached from the lath, which can happen if there was water damage at one time. depending on the extent of the damage, you may be able to secure the plaster with plaster washers, tape and patch the cracks, and then skim the whole thing. other possible solutions including digging out the loose plaster and patching with new plaster / joint compounds, or if it is a larger area patching the whole thing with sheet rock and then skim coating.

o

"I purchased a house about a year and a half ago and the entrance/living room area had some signs of repair.. the ceiling and doorway were a different texture & obviously patched. Per the disclosure & the homeowners, they were not aware of any water damage although the room is directly below the bathroom they put it. "

If they repaired a leak and any water damage it caused they are likely in the clear for disclosure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here