Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaitz33

Patches separating from plaster? Water??

kaitz33
12 years ago

I purchased a house about a year and a half ago and the entrance/living room area had some signs of repair.. the ceiling and doorway were a different texture & obviously patched. Per the disclosure & the homeowners, they were not aware of any water damage although the room is directly below the bathroom they put it.

I painted the area over the texture about a year ago.. about a week ago I noticed that the paint/texture was hanging down in a place (looked like it was sagging with water in it). I panicked thinking it was a pipe or leaky roof, but there was no wetness at all, infact it was really dry, like crumbly dry. It has since rained a lot and no wetness, but the surrounding paint/patched areas are also starting to separate from the plaster, and again aren't wet.

This area is directly below an attached enclosed entryway that has a separate tiny nonvented roof with no access. There was recently a huge change in climate from about 40 degrees daily to low 80s and wet. There is not any sign of condensation..

The main area damaged is around an interior doorway (with no door/jamb) and I'm thinking about just framing out the doorway and putting a thick molding around it which will hide a lot of the damage, and just patching the rest.

I guess my question is, is there any way this could be some sort of leak or can humidity cause that kind of damage? It looks AWFUL but is only in that area and no where else. The surrounding plaster is fine, just the patched areas are bad.. The plaster underneath the missing pieces is hard/firm and not wet at all. any thoughts?

thanks for reading my novel!

Comments (3)