Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the best method for removing paint from sconces

Posted by 1929Spanish (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 12:24

We just had our house rewired and the original sconces are all off the walls right now. Of course over the years when folks painted the walls, they never took down the fixtures and there are at least two coats of paint around the edges. I'm assuming it's latex paint, but not sure.

What would be the best product to remove this paint? I was told lacquer thinner, but I'm concerned about it damaging the finish. One sconce is iron and I believe the rest are aluminum with some of the polychrome finish left. No matter the product, I know I'll be very careful cleaning them.

Got to post and run....thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the best method for removing paint from sconces

Denatured alcohol will dissolve latex paint. So will xylol (goof-off's main ingredient). Lacquer thinner is "hotter" still and can as the name implies remove lacquer and soften most paints. Use that as a last resort.
Casey

o
RE: What's the best method for removing paint from sconces

Cool, thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here