Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pier & beam aluminum cover plates

Posted by janicedallas (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 11:52

I am getting mixed messages about putting the sheet metal plates on the openings around the house. They have always made the home warmer in winter. Also, a tenant has misplaced the ones we had on his home and I don't know where to find more of them, thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pier & beam aluminum cover plates

What do you mean by "openings"? Are you talking about soffit vents? Or crawl space? I'm confused.

o

The crawl space around the bottom of the house has screened openings and the original owner put steel or aluminum plate covers on the openings in the winter but the covers are missing and I am wondering whether to replace them and also where to find them.

o

Hmmm. Those sound like they were probably custom-made. I've never heard of something like that in my area, but maybe someone who has will chime in. Rather than :lost" I would think those nice metal plate got stacked up in someone's truck and taken to a recycler for cash.

o

Yes, replace them as they will help save heating costs in the winter. You can find them on-line by Googling "crawlspace vent covers."

For better efficiency, consider un-venting the crawl winter and summer and treat the crawl walls, floor and ceiling appropriately. See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Conditioned Crawl Space Construction

o

I've seen thermostatically controlled crawl space vents that open in the summer and close in the winter.

o

Thanks for the help. I found a hardware store that carries the wrong size for about $4.75 each so now I guess I need to look around.

o
pier & beam crawl space covers

Thanks for the help. I found a hardware store that carries the wrong size for about $4.75 each so now I guess I need to look around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here