Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmt77

Changing porch roofline & adding a turret to an 1888 Victorian

lmt77
10 years ago

I am daydreaming about adding a turret to my front porch. It's probably a crazy idea, but I wanted to see what y'all think.

I've attached a pic of our house, I've never been crazy about the roofline of the porch.

I was thinking of changing the roofline to something like this:

http://images.meredith.com/content/dam/remodel/Images/2008/07/SIP911911.jpg.rendition.largest.jpg

Is this a crazy unthinkable project?

Comments (11)

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

Link does not appear to work, but what is there in your pic that is showing appears to be cantilevered second floor joists.

It would be a big project to extend joists in the other room to support anther turret.

Especially on an old house that probably does NOT comply with modern codes.

• lmt77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry about the link, this is the porch that I'm day dreaming about.

I was thinking of adding a turret on the drive-way side of the porch and I love the small gabled roof above the steps, but the roofline is the opposite of mine.

• lmt77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, and just to be clear, the turret would be a small extension of the porch (like the porch in the image above), and not an interior room.

• columbusguy1
    10 years ago

The gable addition above the steps wouldn't work well because your front door isn't lined up with the bay, so you would have the emphasis on empty wall rather than the door. As for the 'witches' cap' roof addition by the drive, that would be nice so long as the scale is properly done--perhaps by shifting it to the right so that it appears free-standing from the house?

P.S.: One thing that detracts from the porch for me is the railing--it is too tall! Most railings of the period were about 28" high, not 36". And your balusters are too skinny. You only need a 36" railing I think if the height from the ground is more than 30", and it looks like yours is a bit under that. Check your local code to be sure. Also, some simple brackets or spandrels between the columns would add a lot...but keep them simple like the rest of the house's style.

This post was edited by columbusguy1 on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 12:20

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

If your idea is to alter an authentic victorian-era house into a fake queen anne with a tract-house builder's sensitivity to historic detail (what your inspiration pic reveals) then, no. Forebear.
    Casey

• 1935House
    10 years ago

I think your house is charming and looks just right as it is.

• northbound
    10 years ago

I can see why the porch roof seems out of balance to you, but here are two thoughts:

You may be focusing on the one front square-on view. What does it look like from other angles from the sidewalk and driveway?

Would emphasizing the bay window with a fabulous curtain treatment, stained glass, paint color(s), etc., balance the visual weight of the porch roof?

• sarahandbray
    10 years ago

I was thinking little fixes rather than adding a "fake" architectural feature.
    What about hanging ferns in between each porch column?
    Adding shutters?
    Flag and flagpole?
    I'd go small first before adding big stuff! I think your house is charming as-is :)
    Sarah in Albany

• chibimimi
    10 years ago

Adding a turret to the right-hand side of the house would make it look lopsided.

I'm curious -- is there any evidence that the porch originally might have extended to the left, mirroring the "wrap" to the right?

• view2mtn
    10 years ago

Your are right that something isn't quite jelling here but adding the turret would not be a good solution. I believe the problem is a combination of things. First the roof is hanging over the columns this is why you're losing a period look. The spindles are much too thin for outside. Do you need the spindles at all (either for code reasons or pets and small children)? The columns are also very plain. It's a really cute house, don't waste money on the turret.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler