Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Porch floor

Posted by ealdora (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 08 at 11:11

We have a 1910 Dutch Colonial Revival home. It has a front porch that runs the length of the house. The porch floor is approx. 28" above finish grade. At this time the floor is concrete. The concrete is cracking and starting to look bad. I had the idea of instead of replacing it with concrete to take it back to a wood floor only better. I thought it would be wonderful to use the recycled composite wood material. The best of all worlds. I had a contractor tell me wood porch floors weren't common in this era of home. I find that hard to believe. Does anyone have any ideas or information on this subject?
Thank you so much for your help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Porch floor

I find that hard to believe, as well, especially with a 28" lift above finished grade.

The town I grew up in in Central Pennsylvania had two Dutch Colonials from roughly that period, and both had wooden porches - one a rather small "entry way" style and the other one across the whole front of the house.

o

ealdora,

Kframe19 is correct. They were usually built with wooden porches.

The PorchGuy

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

o

Hey Porch Guy:

Nice pics. What do you use for your oil finish? I'm refinishing a covered T&G Doug fir porch floor and I'm close to the stage of apply a finish. I want an matte oil finish for the floor. I was contemplating a Watco type finish

Diane

o

I use Cabot's Spar Varnish Satin Finish. There are other brands that are just as good. Check with your retailer.
This is an oil base product that can be thinned with mineral spirits.
Everyone has different thoughts about how to...
I apply two coats. I thin the frist one with 50% varnish and 50% mineral spirits. I apply this coat liberally to saturate the wood.
When throughly dry, I apply my second coat right out of the can - 100%.
Through the years I have been successful with this method.
I carefully roll on the first coat and brush the edges. The second coat can be done the same way if done carefully with care not to overlap too much or allow to puddle.

All the best,

The Porch Guy

o

Thanks for the tips

Diane

o

Thanks for the input. Porch Guy what state are you in I would love to have you do our porch.;-)

o

I'll answer your question - the Porch Guy is in New Jersey. He does great work - he fixed up my old porch.

o

oldhometara,
I'm curious who you are and want to thank you for the compliments. Please get in touch.

The PorchGuy

o

PorchGuy,
I have a 1910 house with a wrap around screened-in porch.
It is in OK shape...a little sagging in spots, but 95% of it is fine. My question is, I have painted it a few times with a Benjamin Moore floor paint, but it does not wear well and is difficult to keep clean. Any suggestions? it does get wet in heavy rains.

o

What color is the floor? Are you close to a busy roadway? Do you use the porch alot? What part of the country do you live in? Pets?

The Porchguy

o

The floor is a light gray. i am not close to a busy roadway and i live in new york. no pets. we use it from may - september

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here