Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Paint for 'modern' Utility Cabinets

digit
13 years ago

I made the mistake of mixing new and old . . .

It would be nice to have a period utility room, to match my 110 year-old home and its quaint but useful kitchen. However, I think the original utility room (which probably had the most rudimentary of fixtures and storage) is where a bathroom is now and the current utility room was retrofitted in about 40-50 years ago.

Anyway, I moved some cabinets in to help with storage. Two cabinets are used but look real good, a nice, bright white finish. The problem is a new, cheap corner cabinet and some simple little shelving.

The corner cabinet was scuffed up setting it in place. This "cheap" cabinet cost me over $300. Everything is white but the new stuff isn't as nice a white as the older, used cabinets.

Got my gallon of white, semi-gloss paint and set to work. The paint pulled together like water on a piece of glass!!!

I immediately cleaned all the paint off.

What is this plastic "stuff" on these shelves and corner cabinet? More importantly, is there some kind of paint or treatment that will permit a new finish on, what looks to me like, some kind of plastic veneer?

I would appreciate some help and did take time for searching THS, but came up with nothing . . .

Steve

Comments (2)