Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neophyte needs ideas for non-skid stair tread covering

Posted by jamesfjamesf (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 10:43

Greetings old-house people...I am remodeling a 1925 cottage/cape house. The decor is medium hue painted walls with generous white base molding, and cherry-stained oak floors. Yesterday I pulled up the carpet runner from the stairs leading to the 2nd floor because the dishwater color no longer matched. I also, perhaps foolishly, tore out the carpet tack strips without having a Plan. Now I have tricolor treads that need painting, then a non-skid covering, and I don't know what to use for that.

The previous runner was generic (cut pile I think) and provided adequate grip for anything. I've had berber and it seemed too slippery. I think sanded paint would tear up socks. Individual treads in a nice Persian pattern is my first aesthetic choice, but the nose of the treads would be exposed and slippery for when I fly down the stairs using the nose as a slide. Rubber treads wouldn't fit the style.

Is there material I've missed?

thanks,
jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neophyte needs ideas for non-skid stair tread covering

We purchased a very nice wool carpet runner for our 1930s Tudor stairs. It looks marvelous and has withstood ALOT of foot traffic w/ no noticable wear showing.

I enjoyed the look so much, we used a cheap olefin carpet runner down to the semi finished basement level. This also turned out great and was very easy since it was being attached to pine (painted) steps and the olefin has no backing/ pad.

I purchased both thru overstock.com

Good luck!

o
RE: Neophyte needs ideas for non-skid stair tread covering

I remembered seeing some once in Skymall while on a plane, and I found the link for them, which I've posted for you below.

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: Nonslip stair treads

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here