Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_mominator27

Where can I find a brown smoke detector?

The_Mominator27
12 years ago

We have a log cabin and are also doing a renovation project on it. All I can find is a smoke detector from Hager which is semi-commercial. Anyone have any luck finding a smoke alarm/CO2 detector in brown or a more subtle color than white?

Thanks!!

Hager:

http://www.hager.com.sg/building-automation-wiring-accessories/smoke-detectors/2484.htm

Comments (25)

• Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

Spray paint, rough up the covers so the paint sticks. Cover the electronics and give it a spray.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Cover the electronics and give it a spray."

The cover comes off most detectors.

Remove it and then paint the cover by itself.

• worthy
    12 years ago

Manufacturers, retailers and fire authorities advise that detectors are NOT to be painted, as this can block the vents and openings needed to detect smoke.

(But what do they know about style?)

Here is a link that might be useful: San Diego Fire- Rescue Department

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Manufacturers, retailers and fire authorities advise that detectors are NOT to be painted, as this can block the vents and openings needed to detect smoke. ":

If you goop on the paint it can narrow the vents (think latex wall/ceiling paint)

Use the correct paint and apply a thin layer (Krylon and similar paints) and the thickens of the paint film will have no significant effect.

• worthy
    12 years ago

The completely unsupported authority of anonymous and self-appointed experts with a keyboard never ceases to amaze and astound me. Spray ahead with the "correct" paint.

• The_Mominator27
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anyone else want to chime in? I know it is illegal in some states to paint the covers, and being a safety nut, I would rather not take my chances. I can't believe they don't make these in brown. I also need a CO2 and smoke combo in brown. Very tricky.
    Thoughts??? Sources???

thanks!

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"The completely unsupported authority of anonymous and self-appointed experts with a keyboard never ceases to amaze and astound me."

Maybe because we understand the problem that you obviously do not?

If you slop latex paint over a detector to match the ceiling paint it will cause problems.

If you apply the correct time of paint the layer will be so thin it will not interfere with air movement.

Or you can kowtow to the lowest common denominator like the manufacturers.

• catperson
    12 years ago

Don't tell anyone, but I painted all of mine!

• ks_toolgirl
    12 years ago

Hmm... Ya know, I'm seeing an un-tapped market here. Someday, someone (else) is going to get with the program & realize that people will pay a little more for detectors that blend in with ceilings that aren't glaringly white! Not-white ceilings have been a trend for a while now, & actually have been for a very long time!
    Designer Detectors.. If someone can make them safe AND get them approved? Ka-Ching!

Oh, Europe already thought of it. Just found several - only Europe so far.

Nice, but all I've seen so far are way too modern-looking for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.ergonomidesign.com/Default.aspx?ID=63

• renovator8
    12 years ago

I assume you want the detector to match the ceiling. Smoke detectors are normally required on the ceilings of bedrooms and hallways near bedrooms. Brown ceilings in these locations might result in some highly inefficient if not unpleasant lighting conditons.

• The_Mominator27
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am bumping this again as I am still on the hunt for brown smoke detectors. We have cedar V-groove boards on our ceiling with logs for walls. It really is dark inside Renovator8, but antique and historic too. I am hoping the smoke alarms will be a safe as possible, but also blend in with the ceiling.
    any leads?

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

How about stain? And tape over any sensitive places with painters tape first. At least it would mostly blend in. You could carefully stain around the vents with a q-tip.

Here is an answer from a similar discussion in another forum:
    "Use Vinyl Dye rather than paint. paint coats, Vinyl dye is actually absorbed by the plastic and wont cover small screw holes or grill holes and won't scratch off either since it doesn't sit on the surface of plastic.

it's especially good on Speaker grills since paint can fill the little holes up and scratches off so easy.

You can buy it at any auto parts store. Its the only way you should paint plastic."

I put a link to a bird shaped smoke detector that comes in white, blue,yellow or pink below. If you searh for black smoke detector you will find a smoke detector cover which is black.
    Goodluck

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird smoke detector

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"How about stain?"

Just thin paint.

And you know you are not allowed to paint smoke detectors.

Maybe the police will visit.

• ks_toolgirl
    12 years ago

Mominator, did you ever look into the first reply to your post? Worthy pointed you to a link for black detectors - which would blend with the wood better than white, perhaps.

Your initial post had me "googling" for info to help you find a solution... My initial response was less than helpful - but seriously. I googled for you. Worthy googled for you.
    I think that black would look pretty cool, on wood. Different, but also different from every other old house that now has white standard smoke detectors, & some (not me) have ceilings painted in colors that aren't white.
    I think that you'd be the only ones to even notice it... with that much attention to detail, your house is probably amazing - & the smoke detector will be the last thing anyone else will even see. (And I wish that were the biggest issue I had to worry about, lol!).
    Sorry if I sound witchy... But, omg, it's a smoke detector! :-). I'm lucky that I remember to take time away from 2 kids, laundry, dinner, this darn forum - LOL, fixing floors, replacing entire bathroom, etc, to make sure ours have fresh batteries!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Yeah, I thought that too, like toolgirl. But I have a friend who does everything perfectly, so i accept.
    I also found, but didnt mention till now, that you can get any color you want if you will order 1000 of them. Maybe some log cabin association could organize something. If you have a few hundred members ...
    Kathy

• momcat2000
    11 years ago

Color should only be applied by the manufacturer or else the UL approval will be void

• renovator8
    11 years ago

Removing the cover will void the warranty.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I wonder if your insurance company payout would be affected if they determined you painted your smoke detectors?

• columbusguy1
    11 years ago

Just a quick browse turned up this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Colored Smoke Detectors

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"Just a quick browse turned up this:"

UL listed?

The are photoelectric also, not the US favored ionization.

• inox
    11 years ago

This might be of interest:

Here is a link that might be useful: Not all smoke detectors are created equal

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

The ionizati0n vs. photo argument has been going on a long time.

Nothing new about the difference in response times.

It actually depends on the source of the smoke, with not all types of smoke being equal either.

Many ionization detectors near a kitchen go off annoyingly often from grease smoke.

• Becca Weaver
    7 years ago

i have a wood grain smoke detector for sale

walnut