Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverlilly_gw

Replacement window screens for century home - where to buy?

Silverlilly
11 years ago

We have a century home with huge old windows - some of them have storms only, meaning we can't open the windows in summer without our pets escaping! Where would we order custom window screens? All the "manufacturers" seem to make screens for newer windows (vinyl or metal) but we need the wood frames that sit tight to the window (the current ones are tight - you kind of bang them in - and secured with hooks)...

Comments (5)

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

You have them made at local woodworking shops. Recommend you use bronze screening, too, if you can swing the cost, as it lasts longer and is period appropriate for late Victorian older houses. To reduce the cost you could do your own final fitting, painting and screen installation, if you know how.

As a short-term alternative, you can use those horizontal slide to fit screen things you can get at any hardware store. Unless you have really pushy pets, they work just fine and you could even beef them up with eye hooks to keep them from being pushed out.

A really temporary thing I have used in extreme conditions when I had just bought a house with no screens and needed the windows open for cleaning was to buy rolled plastic screening and staple it to the bottom of the upper sash, side jambs and loosely to the window sill. This did the trick and worked just fine. Any dog bigger than a chihuahua would have been able to push it out, but luckily all I needed was to keep flies and mosquitos out for a few months. I was dead broke from the purchase and closing costs and couldn't even afford the slide-to-fit things.

L.

• azzalea
    11 years ago

Make them yourself--there's nothing to them. We have an 85 year old house that has the original double hung wooden windows with the separate wooden storm sash and wooden screens. We've been here almost 40 years, so as you can imagine, over the years, some of the screens/storm sash (and windows as well) have needed some work. DH has installed new glass, weather stripping, new screening and he's even built a few screens to replace some that couldn't be repaired.

Truly, if you're going to do a woodworking project? Screens are about the easiest one--a great place to start.

In the meantime, as the other poster suggested, get to Home Depot and pick up some of the expandable screens--they're very cheap--think they were only about $5-6 when I picked some up for our country house (the idiots we bought from had taken all the screens out of the replacement windows and stored them in the top of the garage--since it was July, and we had a lot of other things to do, I just grabbed some of those little screen gizmos until we could get to finding the right screens for the right windows).

Oh, and once you've got your screens? Be sure to mark each one (and each storm window) so you know which window it goes to--but mark it on the side or end, so the label doesn't show when the screen is in the window.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

A lumberyard should be able to order them for you made to size from any wood window company that makes windows to order (Marvin, Kolbe etc.) These companies all still sell a wood window screen as an option for their wood windows.

• stevep2028
    11 years ago

I came across Quality Screen Company a few months back for some replacement screens. They have some good how to articles that may help or you can call them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quality Screen Co How to make Replacement Screens

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

Get Terry Meany's book Working Windows -- it has a whole section on how to construct your own wooden screens. It's just an indispensible book for anyone with old windows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Working Windows