Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Resetting glass in old cabinet doors?

Posted by jlc102482 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 9:42

I have a few glass front cabinet doors that either need a pane replaced or else need the existing pane reset because it's loose. I am not sure how to do this, because there is no molding on the inside of the door to keep the glass in place. The only thing keeping the glass in the door is some kind of glazing (?) that is very brittle and crumbling off. The doors are all about 100 years old.

What would be the best way to replace/reset the glass panes back into the doors? I want to make sure the glass stays in place even if the door is accidentally banged shut. Adhesive doesn't seem like it would be enough.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Resetting glass in old cabinet doors?

Caulk and glazing points

o

Not caulk, but glazing putty.

The way exterior windows have been done for a very long time (right up to the sealed gas units showed up).

Glazing putty is available in only a couple shades (brown and white being the moist common).

o

Great, thank you!

o

You may tint putty with colorant (like paint) or apply stain after is has skinned over (a few weeks time). Dap 33 takes stain pretty well.
Casey

o

yes i did mean putty, I know quite a few people would use cle silicone as well

o
RE: cabinet glass doors

Sorry, I am posting on an older forum, but for some reason, I cannot get the site to let me start a new message. So I am hoping I can get some opinions from everyone. I am refacing our cabinets and getting new doors. I thought it might look nice to get stained glass inserts for 2 of the doors. I've seen them done on both sides of the stove, and/or the sink. I don't want to overdo it, so I only wanted 2 doors in the glass. SInce the doors on either side of my stove are different sizes (one is very much narrower than the other) I decided against that. I thought I'd like to put them on either side of the sink, which is in front of a window. The only thing is, there is one cabinet to the right of the sink/window, and 2 cabinets to the left. Would it look odd to have the 2 doors on either side of the sink/window done in stained glass, but the 3rd door in wood? The doors I have selected are a raised panel light maple. All the cabinets, lower and upper are the same style. I am just concerned that the 3rd cabinet, with a wood door, might not look right next to the 2 stained glass doors. But I don't want to "overkill" the glass either. My kitchen is not that big, I just wanted 2 stained glass doors as a focal point, I think it would really dress the kitchen up. Thoughts?

o

How about the two next to each other in glass.

Try over a kitchens for the experts.

o

To the OP.........if the doors are taken off their hinges easily, and you haven't re-glazed before, you might find it easier to remove the doors and lay them flat to do it. That way, should the glass slide, it's not 'going anywhere'. It's not a hard job, but until you get the hang of it, the puttying isn't that easy to get a nice, smooth finish, and sometimes the points can be stubborn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here