Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to remove paint spatters from wood without removing finish?

Posted by jlc102482 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 9:41

I recently picked up a large antique cupboard that was originally part of a butler's pantry. It had been stored in a basement for a while and has some paint spatters and drips on it. Is there any way to remove the paint spatters without also removing the original finish in the process? I'm not sure what the original finish is, though I do know that the cupboard was original to a house built in 1900. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to remove paint spatters from wood without removing finis

What kind of paint and what kind of finish?

Latex paint will often come up with denatured alcohol or xylene with minimal damage to the underlying finish unless it is shellac.

Alkyd (oil paint) is harder.
Regular paint thinner can often soften it enough for removal.

o
RE: How to remove paint spatters from wood without removing finis

Any dots of paint should come off by lifting with a single-edge razor blade. Tiny atomized spatters or smears will come off with some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper or a rubber sanding block, lubricated with paint thinner or water+detergent. If the old varnish is nice and thick you don't have to worry about sanding through the finish to bare wood. Pick off the big flecks, then abrade the mist/smears.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here