Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What color heat registers for a 1915 bungalow?

Posted by artemis78 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 19, 10 at 2:01

We recently had our vintage baseboard registers dipped-and-stripped after failing miserably at finding any replacements that would fit the vents. Now we need to decide what color to paint them, since the original finish was stripped off as well so they're down to the bare metal.

I can't seem to figure out what the appropriate color would have been---our house is a 1915 Arts & Crafts bungalow, and we think heat was added in the 1930s, so the registers date to around then (but are super simple, no ornate patterns or anything fun like that). They sit on the floor set in against the moulding, which is now painted white and unlikely to be stripped while we're in the house. The floors are quarter-sawn white oak.

Any thoughts on what color they should be? We could go with black, but it seemed a little strange against the white moulding....wondered if there might be another generally appropriate metallic color of some sort that would work. We're not sticklers for getting it historically exact, but want something that a) looks nice and b) isn't completely out of character.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What color heat registers for a 1915 bungalow?

My favorite color is antique brass. It goes with almost everything, but there are several colors that would probably work :)

o

If they're in a white baseboard, I'd paint them white so they blend in, probably with a top coat of baseboard paint over a sprayed metal primer/paint. I've done that with mine as a temporary fix & they've worked so well, I doubt if I ever spend the money for the expensive registers.

o

Some of the bronze tones spray paints work well and give a metallic finish that looks a bit more "real" to me than the brass toned or gold toned paints. It would look less contrasty than pure black against the white.

What color is the raw metal?

The other think you could do is get them plated, it isn't always incredibly expensive. If you did that, I would just get brass plating and leave it "raw" to tarnish naturally.

o

Our original 1919 vent covers are sort of a tiger stripe - copper and black coloring. Our trim is still it's original medium brown stain color.

I'd get them professionally plated. A few of our neighbors have had continual problems with chipping of spray paint on theirs.

o

I love that tiger stripe. Not a common finish. Rejuvenation used to offer it as one of their lighting finishes...they may still do it custom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here